Saturday, October 24, 2009

A poem by Amy Carmichael:

I'm almost done with the book A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot about the life of Amy Carmichael, missionary to India. I love this poem she (Amy Carmichael) wrote expressing her acute sense of the need of forgiveness and help. This poem is beautiful:

The shadows of the underworld
Compassed about my guilty soul,
And thunderbolts were on me hurled,
And lightnings flashed; and on a scroll
Was written down, without, within,
The secret of my hidden sin.

Without, within, I saw it stand,
In clearest words accusing me;
Till, as it were, a wounded hand
Annulled its record, set me free;
With that the stormy wind did cease;
A voice commanded; there was peace.

O Savior, striken for my sin,
O God, who gavest Him to grief,
O Spirit, who didst woo and win
My troubled soul to seek relief,
O Love revealed at Calvary,
Thy glory lights eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment