Wednesday, October 7, 2009

24 Weeks...

Today I took the 'modified' blood glucose test. The original one my doctor wanted me to do is the routine gestational diabetes blood glucose test: fast for 8 hours, then drink an ultra-sugary drink, then get your blood drawn an hour later to see if your body responds properly. I asked the doctor if I could do something else because I don't want to drink the ultra-sugary drink. I told him I would go ahead and follow the gestational diabetes diet. Doctor said that everyone should be on the gestational diabetes diet because it is a super healthy diet. He said I was allowed to decline the original test. So I declined it. Instead, he had me do the following:

* 8 hour fast (midnight to wake time in the morning - easy)
* blood draw
* eat a regular meal and wait 2 hours
* blood draw to test glucose

We'll see how this goes. In the mean time, I'm going ahead and writing down what I'm eating throughout the day: Breakfast, snack 1, lunch, snack 2, dinner, snack 3... and I'm trying to follow the gestational diabetes diet. In the handout they gave me about the gestational diabetes diet, the nurse circled the 2000 calorie diet where you are still allowed carbs, but they should be things like whole grain bread, cereals, brown rice, and high in fiber type carbs... eaten in moderation. The handout says I can eat the following:

carb starch (15g) - 9 servings
[examples: 1/2 cup cereal, 1/2 cup pasta cooked, 1/3 cup rice cooked, 1 piece (6") of corn on the cob, 1 small potato, 1 oz slice of whole wheat bread, 1/2 pita pocket 6" across]

carb fruit (15 g) - 4 servings
[examples: 1/2 banana, 1 apple, 15 small grapes, 1 orange, 1/2 cup of OJ, 3/4 cup pineapple]

carb milk (12 g) - 3 servings
[examples: 8oz low fat yogurt, 8oz Milk 1%]

carb veggies (5 g) - 4 servings
[examples: 1/2 cup cooked veggies = 1 serving, green beans, broccoli, carrots, eggplant, mushrooms, peppers, spinach, etc...]

meat and meat substitutes
- 6 servings
[examples: 1 oz cheese, 1 oz turkey/chicken, 1/4 cup cottage cheese 4/5% fat, 1 oz lean beef, 1 egg, 1 oz pork]

fat
- 5 servings
[examples: 1/8 avocado, 2 tsp peanut butter, 1 slice of bacon, 1 tsp butter, 1 tbsp coffee cream]

Lots of foods are allowed, but in small portions. Processed and sugary foods are out, but some of my favorite foods, like peanut butter, cheese, fruit, and milk, are still OK... in moderation. In the GD diet, you are supposed to eat small meals with regular snacks so you don't let your blood sugar drop or spike throughout the day. Another key to avoid gestational diabetes is to exercise regularly. Of course, if you are pregnant, you need to be careful not to over do it... keep your heart rate below 140bpm, drink lots of water, and don't exercise more than you were used to before becoming pregnant.

Now, to be honest, the first week I tried the gestational diabetes diet, I ate a few bites of tiramisu on Tuesday, a delicious crossaint on Wednesday, a piece of cherry pie on Friday at lunch, and strawberries dipped in chocolate on Friday at dinner, and a cupcake with ice cream on Sunday night. Hmmm... this week I'm doing much better and sticking to the diet... except for the piece of pumpkin bread I ate last night... oops... :)

Test Results
blood glucose test results for 'modified' test = I passed!!
Note: The day of the test, I had my blood drawn after 8 hours of fasting, then I ate flax plus cereal with milk and a banana and then waited 2 hours and then got blood drawn to test for glucose.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you started a blog. I really enjoyed doing updates on mine and hope that Ainsley will look back on it someday. Good luck with the diet- I craved sweets like crazy when I was pregnant, but did try to eat healthy.

    ReplyDelete